Medical signs are often asked in PG entrance examination like All India PG Entrance, AIIMS, PGI and other state PG entrance examinations. Medical students should always remember these medical signs so as to get the correct answer. These are important questions and invariably , you may get a question from these signs.
1. Auspitz Sign: It is positive in Psoriasis and is the appearance of bleeding punctuate spots when psoriatic lesions are scrapped off.
2. Nikolsky Sign: It is positive in
- Toxic epidermal necrolysis
- Pemphigus vulgaris
In this sign, there occurs exfoliation of outermost layer of skin during application of slight sheering force on skin.
3. Darrier sign: It is positive in patients of Systemic mastocytosis or Urticaria pigmentosa . There occurs itching, redness and swelling of skin when skin of the person is stroked with some object. It is due to release of Histamine by mast cells which get compressed during stroking.
4. Gottron sign: It is positive in Dermatomyositis. There occurs appearance of discrete erythematous papules over extensor surface of metacarpophalangeal and interphalangeal joints symmetrically.
5. Hutchinson Sign: This sign is the appearance of vesicles over tip of nose or side of nose in patients with herpes zoster of eyes.